St-Pierre vs. Diaz UFC 158: Greatness About to NOT Happen

That’s right. Don’t adjust your computer screen. You read what I just said. Greatness is about to not happen. Huh? What? How could that be? Mix Nitroglycerine with Sodium Carbonate and how could you not have Dynamite?!?

UFC’s 158 promises a battle between two of the pound for pound greatest fighters of MMA History. This is how the world of fighting should be. The two best, stand toe to toe and settle it, once and for all. It is a fight fan’s wildest dream come true. One we almost dare not believe in as we saw it evaporate before our eyes at UFC 137.

Well, I’m here to tell you, dream no more. Lower your expectations now so you aren’t disappointed when those dreams become a reality and like anything else in our corporeal world, it comes crashing to earth and shatters into a million lack luster pieces.

The only thing for certain is that Nick Diaz will show up to fight. I don’t believe he knows any other way. GSP on the other hand, may or may not. And if recent history is any indication, we may be in for a 5 round snoozefest of jabs and footwork, an intermittent leg kick and possibly a round end takedown. It’s a smart and safe bet for GSP and a great way to ensure his place of glory, if that can be said of such performances.

And who’s responsible for this crap? You can’t really blame St-Pierre. I mean, a champion finds a way to win, that’s his job. So who is at fault for this tragedy in the making? I lay the blame squarely on the judges. They’ve set a precedent that rewards conservative, counter striking and defensive tactics. Awarding numerous wins to guys who move backward. This fight will be no different.

But before you go and cancel your PPV order, remember, that I am the worlds all time WORST fight caller. In fact, as we speak, the parallel Universe where all things are possible has aligned itself with our own and is about to put a glitch in the matrix just to make me look like a fool, YET AGAIN! And when it happens, you can thank me for saving this wretched outcome for the Greatest MMA Fight that was not.

1. Konrad
    Konrad says:

I’m going to have to disagree with the judges awarding wins to counterstriking and defensive tactics. If that was the case, Martin Kampmann probably would have made it to a title shot already (see the Kampmann vs Sanchez fight). If Diaz doesn’t want to end up on his back, then he’s going to have to do something different (use a stance more appropriate for MMA might be a starter.) You say boring, I say it’s effective. If you don’t want to be on your back, then get up. Alves got up and still got outpointed on the feet, same with Condit who knocked GSP silly. The guy may have a strong wrestling base, but he’s one of the true all ’rounders in the sport.

2. Damage Control MMA says:

Great write up Yamasaki! I think you are dead on with your analysis. I am still excited for the fight. Even though these guys are polar opposites, both of these guys have qualities that resonate with me. I want to know who people think will win. I’m picking GSP by decision.

3. Damage Control MMA says:

Oh, I’m totally doing to throw away my $44.00 bones and buy the PPV. But I know I’ll be cursing the TV worse than after watching an episode of Walking Dead when it’s all said and done. -Yamasaki-

4. Konrad Jones says:

I’m going to take GSP over Diaz, but not necessarily for the reasons above. Diaz has always had weak defensive wrestling and the only way he can really impose his boxing is to corral his opponents into the fence. GSP will employ a similar tactic to what Condit used, except GSP’s footwork is far superior and I don’t imagine him turning his back and running. Look for GSP to establish his jab and kick the lead leg of Diaz while threatening the takedown. I don’t see him trading on the feet with him as much as he did with Condit, but it wouldn’t surprise me. Keep an eye out for Diaz’s bodywork as GSP has shown weakness to this if timed properly ala the fight against Matt Serra. I think Hendricks will starch Condit who has shown to be reckless and hittable and Marquardt will probably decision Ellenberger. I really don’t know enough about the guys at the bottom of the main card to make an educated guess, so flip a coin.

5. mma made easy
    mma made easy says:

I’m trying to remember a time when GSP has ever been defensive and run away…

isn’t he the guy that plows through and destroys everyone he fights with wicked timing with the feinting ability of a demigod? French accent, tiny shorts? That’s the one, right?

6. hounddoggy
    hounddoggy says:

I think you are likely to be spot on….. unfortunately. hit and run, ample use of leg kicks, takedown. pass to half guard, ground and pound, stand up and repeat. man, I hope we are wrong.

7. natualbornfighter1
    natualbornfighter1 says:

I think you’re right Dr.Sick. With Greg Jackson back in the corner there is more chance of extreme defensive and smothering tactics. However in saying all this I still believe there is potential for fireworks. GSP’s boxing is very good, so is Diaz and Nicks Chin is solid. GSP’s wrestling is phenomenal but Nick Diaz BJJ is incredible too. To the point he had signed to face Braulio Estima in a BJJ match. He must be confident in every area and to me it seems like he has taken a huge psychological edge over GSP after hearing the conference call.
    If GSP sticks to his gameplan it will likely go to a five round decision though.

8. UFC 158: St-Pierre vs. Diaz
    UFC 158: St-Pierre vs. Diaz says:

Look for GSP to establish his jab and kick the lead leg of Diaz while threatening the takedown. I don’t see him trading on the feet with him as much as he did with Condit, but it wouldn’t surprise me. Keep an eye out for Diaz’s bodywork as GSP has shown weakness to this if timed properly ala the fight against Matt Serra. I think Hendricks will starch Condit who has shown to be reckless and hittable and Marquardt will probably decision Ellenberger. Often come here ppv4me [dot] info to see all fight of UFC.

9. realzatoichi
    realzatoichi says:

couldn’t agree more with your article. I see st. pierre hold him down and throwing small punches for 5 rds. I think Greg Jackson has become a major problem for the entertainment value of mma. he is about winning first and fighting second. Alot of his fighters basically are really boring to watch, even clay guida has become more conservative under him.