The Long Sit Out

It’s always a juggling act trying to deliver content to our followers and subscribers that I think they’ll enjoy, while at the same time trying to balance it with what I am passionate or excited about.

To be honest, I don’t think the two are always the same. I know from experience that the flashy submissions and things of that sort have historically always out performed the more mundane subjects we’ve posted and so I try to provide as many of those types of things as I can.

Don’t get me wrong. I enjoy those types of techniques as much as the next guy,

but at the same time, I find myself more and more enamored by the obscure and or understated positional escapes, grip fighting basics or in this case, Coach Billy Robinson’s take on the Long Sit Out.

I’d learned it, or rather, began to learn it decades ago while wrestling in Jr. High School. But, with wrestling being a season long sport, with only so much time for practices and only a few coaches to manage 3 different grade levels, various weight classes and different levels of potential and skill, there was only so much that I could learn about that specific move way back then.

A season filled with countless losses and 1 victory over the only kid skinnier and weaker than myself coupled with the humiliation a scrawny kid feels after being pointed at and laughed at while wearing his wintergreen tights and doing bridges on the mat in the pre-match warm ups, pretty much sealed the fate of my wrestling career (if I can call it that), and the lesson on the Long Sit Out would have to wait another 20 some odd years before I’d understand it for what it was.

An escape for desperate times.

It’s been months since that lesson with Coach Robinson, and I still haven’t quite made the incorporation of the Long Sit Out into my game seamless, but reviewing the technique as I edited the footage, helped me remember some of the details and again, understand when and where to use such a technique during a roll. It’s a late escape from a Quarter Position scramble, or a pre emptive escape from the Back Mount.

Either way, I’ll continue to work on it as an important niche maneuver of my escape and defensive repertoire.

Coincidentally, Jake Shannon and Coach Robinson have just recently released a new book “Say Uncle!: Catch-As-Catch Can Wrestling and the Roots of Ultimate Fighting, Pro Wrestling & Modern Grappling“. It’s a chronicle of the history and men responsible for the brutal art of Catch As Catch Can Wrestling. I must say, it’s a very interesting read which includes great interviews with men such as Coach Robinson, Gene Lebelle, Dick Cardinal, Josh Barnett, Billy Wicks, Fujiwara, Erik Paulson and many others as well as some fundamental play by play techniques. And heh, whaddaya know, even Coach Kiser and I make a cameo.

Without grizzled men like these, the art could easily have died out just prior to my generation. Their dedication to excellence and their tireless work ethic is really the only thing that’s kept the art alive.
Below you can see an out take from the Scientific Wrestling CACC Certification course. Just look at the seminar attendees, sitting exhausted from the morning session, catching their breath, taking notes and rehydrating, while Coach Billy, pulls up two of the young lads to inspect and then perfect their technique.

He just never stops, every second is spent developing fundamentals, and instilling the desire to achieve the perfect technique.

Coach Robinson IS the King of Catch. Long Live the King!

Next week a few more escapes from side cross with one of my Jiu-jitsu coaches, Pedro Sauer BJJ Black Belt, Mike Diaz.

1. Kiser
    Kiser says:

Long live the King! I don’t know how anyone could ever fill those shoes once he is done teaching.

Billy Robinson has taught me so much about wrestling, teaching and learning. He has changed my game forever.

2. Sam Kressin
    Sam Kressin says:

Beautiful post. Billy is a true master of Catch Wrestling watching him work with Jack I’m again in awe of is his depth of knowledge and desire to push each of his athletes as near to perfection as possible. I almost entirely forgot about the Long Sit Out. Time to get back on the mat and do some more practice.

Brilliant, Coach Billy Robinson is a grappling genius. He is a real treasure and I appreciate the fact that you share your experiences with him through damage control mma. It lets the rest of us see a genius at work. Thanks again Dr.Sick!

4. Gregory Dean
    Gregory Dean says:

I love catch wrestling! There are some things ive added to my jiu jitsu game that surprises the hell out of my training partners. They think its too rough tho…lol

5. enoevol2012
    enoevol2012 says:

How is it that catch wrestling died out as an art? Should it take long for someone to learn it for self defense? I ask that in the event you have an altercation on the street and you have to defend yourself,when there are no other options. Is England the birthplace of catch wrestling,or wrestling PERIOD,as it has been called for centuries? How effective is Indian,or African wrestling as self defense, in comparison to catch wrestling,or any other martial art?Did Bruce Lee know catch wrestling/? I read that Gene Lebell taught judo and some grappling to him.

Is catch wrestling believed to be superior to all other modes of combat? I believe that it comes down to ones personal preference,and how you apply what you know. I don’t believe that one martial art is superior to another,but kudos to Billy Robinson and all the others who share their art,with firsthand knowledge,humility,and love of the art. Does anyone know if there are pro wrestlers who know the actual art of catch as catch can today,in the WWE Impact,or other pro wrestling organizations? Thanks,and take care everyone.

6. enoevol2012