Mixed Martial Arts to the Rescue!

When I began my study of the Martial Arts, I had a belief that Martial Artists were good people. That the study of the arts improved lives and made for a gentler, more peaceful society.

12 years later, I still hold this belief and after experiencing many of the benefits of the Martial Arts and seeing first hand those benefits imparted on others, that belief is even stronger now.
I love Mixed Martial Arts. I enjoy the idea of breaking down barriers and finding common ground between differing schools of thought and bringing together like minded individuals in collaborative efforts to continually improve the art. But trying to explain this sentiment to friends, family, and the public in general has not been an easy task.

With the most visible ambassadors for our sport peeing on pillows, playing games with their poo poo and a promoter who throws the F-Bomb around like it’s a necessary grammatical part of speech, it’s no wonder the average person thinks of Mixed Martial Arts as simply a practice in barbarism.

Samurai Means to Serve

But those of us in the MMA Counter Culture can change that. I still believe in the power of the Martial Arts. I still believe that the Martial Arts are a way of living, not a way of fighting. I still believe that many of you out there are like me.

We are Martial Artists, not knuckle dragging, blood thirsty Neanderthals. We are protectors, and guardians, honorable, peaceful warriors who stand at the ready, like the Jeremy Glicks of this world, to impart whatever action is necessary, so that others may sleep peaceably in their beds at night.

I would like to start an initiative here, called the Mixed Martial Aid Fund. It is a fund from which 100% of the proceeds will go to help people of the world who are in need. At this moment, it would seem that Japan, Mother of so many wonderful Martial Arts, and Martial Artists is a place that we could be of some service to. The people of Japan have been blind side, cold cocked by a three punch combination, an Earthquake, followed by a Tsunami and now a Nuclear incident to top it all off.

DamageControlMMA.com will be donating $100.00 to help with the relief efforts in Japan. Our hope is that at the very least, 100 of our fellow Martial Artists out there can each donate $1.00 to match our donation. We will post the results of our efforts here on this page. I want the money to go directly to those in the evacuation centers or those directly assisting them. If necessary (due to an inability to find a reputable source), we may simply have to donate our efforts to the Red Cross, but if we’d also like the money to go to direct efforts like Enson Inoue’s. I’ve spoken with his people and have established a rapport. I am inspired by Mr. Inoue’s efforts and am optimistic that we can find others doing the type of work he is, to help with our own efforts.

If you are a Martial Artist and especially if you’ve watched our videos, and haven’t become a member, now is the time to make good. Donate $1.00 to help us in bettering the world. Now is the time to step up and show what we, as true Mixed Martial Artists are capable of. Contribute to the Mixed Martial Aid Fund. And the next time someone tries to say that we’re just a bunch of chest thumping, testosterone driven apes, you can point to our relief efforts and show them what we’ve done.

If you are a school owner, I ask you to take up a collection, contribute it to the MMAid Fund and send us a video of you and your students exclaiming “We Are All One!” We will feature it, and show the growing unity and power of our intentions.

We are the strong who protect those in need. From all walks of life, all parts of the world, and all styles, we are Mixed Martial Artists, and we do much, much more good than we do damage. Please pass this page on, link to it from your blogs and favorite sites, embed the video in as many places as possible and join us in being the guardians of our people. WE ARE ALL ONE.

Suggested Donations to MMAid Fund

Donate $1.00

Please consider an extra .33 cent charge. This goes to Paypal for their transaction fee so that $1.00 gets to the people who need it.

Donate $5.00

Please consider donating an extra $.45 to cover transaction fees so that $5.00 gets to the people who need it.

Donate $10.00

Please consider donating an extra $.60 to cover transaction fees so that $10.00 gets to the people who need it.

Donate $25.00

Please consider donating an extra $1.05 to cover transaction fees so that $25.00 gets to the people who need it.

=========================================================================================

As of April 27th 2011, we’ve taken this initiative offline. Paypal has suspended my account as well as those of others who have tried to help the people of Japan.

We have issued refunds to everyone who took the time to give. Paypal claims that our actions and collection of funds is suspect, but that didn’t stop them from taking their cut.

I remain determined to help the people of Japan, and to do it directly and not through some giant organization. I believe in the goodness of most human beings, and in direct action. The big corporations, governments, “charities” etc. can sit on their thumbs and follow their proceedures. I know that they will eventually do some good. But I am about warriors, people like Enson, on the front lines, doing! Now! Without hesitation or cowardace. It is the warriors way.

“The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. ”

Death Before Dishonor!

31 responses to “Mixed Martial Arts to the Rescue!”

1. kenseisato1989 says:

this post made my day

Our sincerest thank you to our friend Otto, the first Martial Artist to step up and make a donation. Many talk the talk, and but you walk the walk. Deepest respects sir. Thank you *wai* /\

3. @iamcheickkongo Mixed Martial Arts to the rescue with MMAid http://bit.ly/fhJz6X

4. @SpaniardMMA Mixed Martial Arts to the rescue with MMAid http://bit.ly/fhJz6X

5. @KrisMccray Mixed Martial Arts to the rescue with MMAid http://bit.ly/fhJz6X

6. @Cowboycerrone Mixed Martial Arts to the rescue with MMAid http://bit.ly/fhJz6X

7. @HypeOrDie Mixed Martial Arts to the rescue with MMAid http://bit.ly/fhJz6X

8. @NickCatone Mixed Martial Arts to the rescue with MMAid http://bit.ly/fhJz6X

9. @AriannyCeleste Mixed Martial Arts to the rescue with MMAid http://bit.ly/fhJz6X

10. @jimrome Mixed Martial Arts to the rescue with MMAid http://bit.ly/fhJz6X

11. Shane says:

Great way to donate to the relief effort. Thanks, Khru Yamasaki, for setting this up.

(Just a heads-up that in Utah the benevolent state government will also add 6.6% to your PayPal transaction for the bureaucrats to spend on office treats.)

12. Great project Dr.Sick. Next thursday is payday and I promise i’ll be right on it then, I don’t have much in the account right now but I’ll put in a bit then. If it doesn’t go in pull me up in the forums to remind me. 🙂

I’m going to start pasting this to many other forums now! Well done again.

13. NZBrendan says:

Upmost respect to all of the Damage Control team for the MMAid fund and our thoughts and prayers go to the people of Japan.

A Very Special Thank You goes out to my friends for being part of the M.M.Aid Fund. You guys are front line warriors for peace and goodness. I am humbled to be able to call you my friends. Otto Pozzo, Submissions 101, Robertina Tsibulskis, Scott Wyness, Shane Taylor, Sterling Okura, Kyle Grealis, Brandon Kiser, Brendan Carrucan and of course, Erik Paulson

15. thanks, but it’s the least i could do. as soon as i heard about the disaster, then another, then yet another, my heart sank. to top it off, to learn of the sacrifices people were making to save their communities (and heritage) i couldn’t help but to be inspired by the bravery of the people willing to risk their own lives. i didn’t initially realize the connection between the land and people of Japan and what i/we are doing now. thanks for organizing this!

Kyle

16. Brian Takeo Yamasaki and Brandon Kiser are doing good stuff, support this!!! http://fb.me/XI9JGdrA

17. RT @sciwrestling: Brian Takeo Yamasaki and Brandon Kiser are doing good stuff, support this!!! http://fb.me/XI9JGdrA

Another thanks goes out to our friends at http://www.ScientificWrestling.com for thier donation to the MMaid Fund.

Robert Carlin from Scottland joins us as a brother in arms. Thank you!

20. Dickey says:

I deal with this “knuckle-dragging, chest-thumping” philosophy every day. Thank you for helping the cause of clarifying of the name of true martial artists. Also, I believe this earthquake might be some kind of test to show the world’s true heart. Who’s willing to react and help and who isn’t will become clear.

Great idea Dr Sick!

P.S. Catchy title. Haha 😉

Well, Dickey, it appears that Paypal is one of those whose heart has been tested, and the test came out negative.

Read more about Enson Inoue’s experiences, his efforts to actually help “the People”, Paypals role, and how much Red Cross’s presence is being felt here: http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/04/13/yamato-damashii-diaries-day-2-fukushima/ and here http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/04/14/yamato-damashii-diaries-day-3-the-town-that-was-taro/

Oh, and wait it gets better! Today, Paypal called me and gave me the same load of $#!T. I might need some of you donators to take a refund and buy a “Stick It To the MAN style Private Lesson From Mushin Self Defense” instead. Seriously. It’s a private lesson you’re buying. And I can take that money and do as I see fit with it. That includes donating it to the people of Japan, not to some giant organization that takes years to actually help because of all the red tape and CYA policies.

22. You’re welcome for my donation Dr.Sick. I am proud to donate my money to a cause such as yours.

I just read the Enson Inoue articles. They are incredibly powerful and highlight the reality of the situation. Thank you for posting them.

I am totally disgusted with paypal!!!! they are an absolute disgrace. Maybe you should bring up your and enson’s issues with them in a big media outlet such as USA TODAY and see if they still hold up money going to people in desperate need.

@naturalbornfighter1, That wouldn’t be a bad idea except that the big media outlets are all influenced if not outright controlled by big business. I wish we had a heavy hitter to come in there and go to bat for us little guys, but it just doesn’t look like it’s in the cards. Big fish eat the little ones.

I’ve heard Paypal has pissed off “Anonymous” a group of hard core hackers who seem to be a guerilla outfit poised against @$$holes like them. I’ll be rooting for those hackers. I’m all for goodness and positive vibrations, but every once in a while, rebels got to lay a beat down.

In the mean time, we can do our part by spreading the information and exposing Paypal. In todays world, nothing goes unnoticed. I can’t tell you how many products I’ve walked away from simply because of one bad review.

24. Sterling says:

@Dr. Sick – Thanks for trying sir get this going sir, and sorry about PayPal shutting it down. I’m disappointed by PayPal, but I think they’re doing it to protect their customers from scams and are not out to hurt anyone. Too bad the bureaucracy gets in the way of actually helping people.

25. I’m very disappointed for you Brian, It was a very admirable project and PayPal will need to live with the fact that they are directly responsible for people in Japan who are unable to get aide that they desperatly need. I’m sure that when you find a way to help again we will all be happy to donate and help you in your quest. Sorry again Brian.

It really is disappointing in so many ways. I don’t need big brother making decisions for me and taking care of my welfare. I can take care of myself. I can live with the consequences of my own decisions. And what does taking a percentage have to do with “protecting customers”? I’ve withdrawn all my funds from Paypal and am closing all accounts with them. How’s that for protecting myself from scams… like them.

It’s sucks because we were gaining momentum and now we have Americans in Alabama suffering from some natural disasters of their own.

On a personal level, I will not give up on this. I’ll be sending my money via Western Union to the Inoue effort and hoping for news of more warriors in Birmingham that have the courage to step up as he’s done. When I do, I’ll be wiring them money as well.

27. Sterling says:

@Dr Sick Your commitment to helping other is very inspiring. I think your MMAID Fund is a brilliant idea, and hope to see it realized someday.

28. Great idea to raise some funds and pay a tribute to the victims of Japan earth quake.

And…. Nothing like a tight wrist lock!

29. Derek Stanley says:

I’m a new member..damage control has help me in a lot of areas..I love it…

30. David Haldenby says:

thanks guys, awesome coverage. i always amaze the guys at class . they always ask were i learned this stuff. hahaha