The Breath Of Life!

“What is a saxiphone but a big hunk of metal until an artist gives it the breath of life?…
art has nothing to do with paint. Art is not a technique, but an expression from your heart… There is nothing you can’t do, there is nothing you can’t change if you believe and want it badly enough.”

-Denny Dent-

So often, I have been inspired by great artists. Truely, amazing people who’s message and passion transcend the medium with which they express themselves. Many critics and detractors will say that if you really look at them, they’re not that talented, or that their technique is not as sound as so and so’s. But to me they’re missing the point.

It’s not about the technique, it’s about the passion, the power of the human spirit, resonating and giving the “breath of life” to whatever it is that is being expressed. And in this sense, it doesn’t matter if the medium is Music, Painting, Iron Man Triathlons, Bush Craft, Zoology, Cooking, or Martial Arts.

There are certain artists out there that touch us, and move our sense of what is, and what can be. They inspire us to be and do more that what we thought was possible. This blog post is dedicated to those who have done so for me.

John Denver

To be pure of heart and intention is the essence of freedom.

Team Hoyt

When asked, “Rick, what would you do if you had the use of your arms and legs for one day?” Rick responded “I’ve thought alot about that question, and at first, I thought, maybe I’d like to play football. Then, I thought, maybe I’d like to play basketball or baseball. But then I think really hard, and the answer becomes clear… I’d strap my Dad to the chair and I’d make him let me push him for a day.”

At 52 years of age, Dick Hoyt was doing for himself and his son, what most 20 year olds cannot do for themselves. Triumph of the Human Spirit. The definition of love and devotion.

If you’ve ever seen these two compete, you realize that to say that you “can’t” is simply not true. That to do so is simply a weak man’s easy way out… That it isn’t that you are unable, but rather unwilling. Being a warrior in any sense means stripping that notion from your conscience.

Survivorman

Survivorman doesn’t just survive, he thrives. He looks at an otherwise desperate situation and finds ways to enjoy the moment. I was once told by one of my Jiu-jitsu Instructors (BJJ Black Belt Mike Diaz), “Sometimes all you can do is survive… and sometimes all you SHOULD do is try to survive.” It was then that I realized that most of the time, my real MMA troubles only started to worsen when I’d try to do too much when in a bad spot instead of just concentrating on survival and waiting for an opportunity.

Crocodile Hunter

Have you ever seen someone so full of passion and love for his life and his living. We should all strive to live as Crocodile Hunter did. RIP Steve Irwin.

Iron Chef Morimoto

If something is worth doing, it is worth doing right and with all your heart and soul. To watch Iron Chef Morimoto cook is like watching a sword smith forge a Hatori Hanzo. His cooking is infused with nothing less than his soul. It is done with respect and honor. These attributes should be the goal of any artist, Martial or other.

Genki Sudo

Need I say more. To see Genki, and how he developed as a philosopher and fighter is simply amazing. As he improved as a fighter, his mindset and “Weltanschauung” or world view became increasingly altruistic and egoless. You can see it in his smile and how he wasn’t fighting per se. He wasn’t there to destroy his opponents, but rather to express his art. And what a beautiful art it was, pure poetry in motion.

I’d love to see and lean more about your inspirations? Who is it, that gives the “Breaths of Life” to your art, your life?

1. kenseisato
    kenseisato says:

thank you so much for this article.
    every time my spirit starts to bend i can just click on one of the videos and read the paragraph

2. kenseisato
    kenseisato says:

all of them are were intertaining and great but the one that most inspired me was dick & rick hoyt
    their spirit is brighter than so sun!
    and it reminded of a part of the poem you gave me

“We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we’re liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” (A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of “A Course in Miracles”, Harper Collins, 1992. From Chapter 7, Section 3])

Wow, as I was scrolling down I was thinking of Genki Sudo, not only that but I had been thinking about the Chris Brennan submission tournament. There are times when i watch Genki fight and it feels like the way Bruce Lee used to talk about ‘letting it hit all by itself’ and you can see Genki is so in the zone his movements flawlessly fit into his opponents unguarded areas. Difficult to explain but if You have seen the finish to his fight against Leigh Remedios at UFC 38 you might kind of get what im trying to say. He’s such an inspirational and influential fighter to so many people. I would so love to see him return to MMA. Even his music video was awesome.

4. Sterling
    Sterling says:

I wore my Genki Sudo t-shirt today after reading this article. 🙂

Love the quote from Mike Diaz on survival. When things get crazy, sometimes just surviving the day feels like a victory.

I agree w/ Kensei that the Hoyt team is very inspiring. Makes my own excuses seem a little pathetic.

Thanks for the post Dr. Sick.

5. kenseisato
    kenseisato says:

i love genki sudo too
    love & everything

World order extended version

there are also a couple of his documentrys including
    “Genki sudo soul looks” 1-5
    “Genki sudo documentry” 1-6

6. Sterling
    Sterling says:

@Kensei: Thank you sir for info on World Oder and the documentaries. I need to look them up.

@Dr. Sick: Not a big fan of the pop music, but that video was insane. Reminded me of his PRIDE & K1/Heroes fight entrances.

I need to learn to speak Japanese just in case I meet Genki Sudo in person someday.

7. Dickey
    Dickey says:

I know this post was awhile ago, but I had to say just how great it was. Everything can be expressed as an art from if one puts their heart and soul into it. People who do things just for the money and fame don’t get the same feeling from it as someone who truly expresses it from deep inside. Art is my field, I love expressing and creating in everything I do. I’m actually looking to go to art school. That feeling of being able to pour out your heart and soul through a pencil, or brush, or instrument, or your body, is just so fulfilling. I’ve never really heard of Genki Sudo, but after watching that video Dr. Sick posted of him, the submission wrestling, I might need to look into him more. As I’m sitting here bored in history class, I’m just amazed at how most people do something for the fame or money, but those who create, who thrive, they get the full experience and feeling from it. Two more things, to someone who thinks fighting is wrong and stupid, show them the Genki Sudo video and they will see just how much is going on. He pours his soul into every action. And at about 1:35 to 1:47 in the first World Order video, were they doing the Haka?