For the next few weeks we will be focusing on the Guillotine Choke. I’ve had more changes of opinion concerning this technique than perhaps any other. I’ve gone from simply noting it as a possible option/threat, to considering it a total asset, back to being casually aware of it and then back to thinking that it’s the cat’s meow. No other move has had the ability to reinvent itself to me as the Guillotine.

It’s such a simple move but just when you think you’ve got it pegged you come across a different variation, a small tweak, a different way of using it. It’s like the duct tape of submission holds. And here is a real beauty demonstrated by my good friend and CSW coach, Brandon Kiser.

I’d like to note a couple things here. You will often find us demonstrating or sharing unconventional techniques on this site and our youtube profile (www.youtube.com/TakingItToTheMMAT). This is not because we value the unconventional approach more than the conventional. It is not because we think these techniques are any better or higher percentage than the basics. Our position is that our viewers should be training under qualified instructors who should be more than capable of presenting and teaching the basics and traditional methods. And there are plenty of resources where more information can be found concerning these.

Our hope is that we can share some ideas that may not be so readily available and or give our viewers food for thought concerning possibilities they may not have otherwise considered.

6 Responses to “The Half Guard and Guardless Guillotine Chokes”

1. KevinDillard says:

Digging the float over into the neck crank.. how about the rest of the top video? lol.. or am I putting the cart before the horse?!?.. hey.. cut me a little slack.. I’m getting impatient in my old age.. its the beginning of my second childhood ya’ know?!? :0)

2. Ian says:

Do you find that, when you have the legless guillotine, more people are tapping out of surprise? From my very limited experience, I’ve never been able to apply enough pressure to secure a tap. Or maybe it’s something to do with your grip? I love that transition into side and the crank, though!
    Much love for Damage Control! -Ian

“Digging the float over into the neck crank.. how about the rest of the top video? lol.. or am I putting the cart before the horse?!?.”

Kevin,

Ian,

I personally have the most success with this choke when I feel like I’ve got a fairly deep choke set up from standing. Then once I hit the deck I actually step over their calve with my foot instead of put my leg straight up into the air. Another key point is to make sure their head is touching the ground. That really helps to finalize the choke.

But these are only my personal observations. Kiser might have some of his own. See if you can twist his arm into getting on here and clarifying a thing or two for you.

5. KevinDillard says:

“The second video starts up where the first (the youtube version) leaves off. I hope that’s what you meant.”
    That IS what I meant.. sorry I was having a blonde moment!
    I’d think a major part of getting that tap is in that Kiser was making a point to be on his hip as opposed to flat on his back, giving himself the range of motion with his upper body to to get a nice arch on it once he had it set deep.

This thread just got started over at http://www.lockflow.com It’s features a great compilation of Guillotine Chokes and variations. It’s definitely worth checking out:

I should also include this clip in this post: