The Catch Wrestling Shin Lock

Training with Sakuraba's Coach, the legendary Billy Robinson

Training with Sakuraba’s Coach, the legendary Billy Robinson

After first learning about the coveted but elusive Knee on Shin Lock and Elbow on Shin Lock, I was obsessed. I had to have them. I had no idea where to find them or how to go about getting on the mats with someone who knew the real skinny behind these old school Catch As Catch Can Techniques. But as luck would have it, the answer would literally fall at my feet.

Jake Shannon president and founder of the Scientific Wrestling Group, a society he has tasked with the consolidation and preservation of the many forms of Catch/Carnival/Wigan style Wrestling, recently changed his place of residence from sunny CA to the desert colony known as Utah.

2, 90 Degree Angles on 2 separate planes make for a more efficient SNAP!

2, 90 Degree Angles on 2 separate planes make for a more efficient SNAP!

W.A.R. Catch Wrestling: Lessons in Catch-As-Catch-Can with Billy RobinsonUpon arriving he needed a place to host an upcoming seminar with the legendary Catch As Catch Can Instructor Billy Robinson, a first generation student of the late Billy Riley. Jake called up his friend, our instructor Sensei Erik Paulson. Sensei Paulson suggested that he get in touch with his state representative Coach Kiser and the rest is history.

Having the once in a lifetime opportunity to train under one of few remaining authorities on Catch Wrestling, we picked as much of Billy’s brain as he and Jake could stand. The result was a bunch of footage that, to this day is some of my favorite material.

For anyone interested in learning more Catch As Catch Can moves directly from Coach Billy Robinson, I whole heartedly recommend
W.A.R. Catch Wrestling: Lessons In Catch-As-Catch-Can with Billy Robinson

21 responses to “The Catch Wrestling Shin Lock”

1. Thanks for posting and sharing this! Mr. Robinson is walking, talking, breathing history! Anytime you can learn directly from a source nearest the well is going to be phenomenal. MUCH appreciated guys!

Kris Iatskevich just published this series as a compliment to Coach Robinson’s Shin Locks clip. Check it out, it’s really cool. Then comment on his video and thank him for showing all the stuff on his video so that people don’t have to come to this website to see the goodies. (he he that’s kind of an elbow in the rib type of thing for me to say… but comment anyway. )

🙂

3. Alvin Chan says:

You gotta keep some of those secrets in house for us. Just kidding! As usual the Mushin group putting out excellent material as always.

Great stuff Coach Brian & Coach Brandon.

~ Your east coast brother

Khuen Khru/Coach Alvin YEAH! I’m so glad to see you here. You are such a great guy and such an incredible instructor. Anybody in the Maryland area you’ve got to get in touch with Khru Alvin. He is the shizzle bombizzle.

Alvin we’ve got some of your stuff cut and ready for release. Some of it (your elbow set up) will probably be exclusive but the other stuff will come out on youtube.

I’m really going to miss seeing you and Khuen Khru Scott at Thai Camp this year. But I know how it goes.

Thanks so much for stopping by and for being such a great mentor figure to me.

“You gotta keep some of those secrets in house for us”

– Alvin Chan –

Believe me brother, we are. We spoke with Sensei Paulson the other day and he advised us to keep some things only for seminars, some things for students and finally stuff only for ourselves. But anything of mine is yours.

Maybe you could help me with a project I’m working on.

6. Alvin Chan says:

Feel free to call on me anytime. You’re pretty much family!

7. Great vid. Looked so painful for Dr Sick 🙂

Cool to see this video featured on Erik Paulson’s official CSW site.

8. Rebecca says:

I know this isn’t supposed to be funny, but watching Khru suffer was pretty damn hilarious. Sorry sir.

Excellent stuff. You guys are really going out there, getting amazing material, and putting it together in a great format. Keep at it- it’s awesome!

Ha ha, Rebecca,

Actually, it is supposed to be funny in a way. Pain is always funny. And the more innocent, the more helpless the victim, the more hilarious the humor. I love the scene in the movie “Never Been Kissed” where Drew Barrymore is egged in her prom dress. I almost cried from laughing so hard. I know I’m terrible and will burn in Hell for it but Damn that was funny.

If you ever get a chance, you and Sterling should check out the movie “Forgetting Sarah Marshal”. It has perhaps one of the most painful opening sequences in history.

Good stuff.

10. Skooby Doo says:

Is this just a pain move or will it actually break the shin bone if I lean enough weight into it?

@Skooby Do

I think it definitely has the potential to actually snap the shin. I’ve heard stories that Hulk Hogan had his shin bone snapped with this very technique when he first began training in Pro Wrestling. I have not personally confirmed this story but it’s something I’ve heard.

I’ve also seen Takanori Gomi (I’m pretty sure it was him) have his shin broken with an Achilles Tendon Hold or variation thereof. I’d think that you can get just as much force on the shin and ankle with this technique and therefore the shin break.

But that’s just my .02

12. Skooby Doo says:

Thanks for the reply man! Awesome site you guys have, especially the CACC stuff you posted, so cool that you got some real legends to break this stuff down for you. Glad they’re willing to share instead of keeping it locked up all secret kung fu like.

This is what we’ve done with the knowledge that Coach Robinson and Coach Shannon so generously shared with us. It’s a Guard Passing application of the Shin Lock

14. […] variant &#959f th&#1077 versatile Shin Lock. E&#957&#1077r &#1109&#1110n&#1089&#1077 I learned th&#1077 proper mechanics fr&#959m Coach Billy Robinson, th&#1077 Shin Lock h&#1072&#1109 found &#1072n &#1077&#957&#1077r growing role &#1110n m&#1091 MMA […]

15. Love it. Cant wait for the seminar next weekend.

16. What time does the seminar start / end?

17. 10:00 am – 6:00 pm each day! So excited to see you there!

18. Top Chef says:

What up you guys? That is dope, Im more of a stand up guy (Muay Thai/ Western Boxing in the house!!). But Im trying to grasp that ground termonology. Dope. If your ever in Los Angeles stop by Muay Thai Academy we would love to have you. Kru Puck!.